It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Caps lock & Shift keys erratic 

Post Caps lock & Shift keys erratic
I am experiencing a reoccurring problem that I can't figure out. For no apparent reason, at least any that I can find / duplicate, my "Caps Lock" & my "Shift" keys will stop working in that while they WILL set the correct action with the keyboard, but the keyboard stops displaying the change! this is quite annoying as who can remember where the *%#^ keys "live" under the corresponding number key!

Any ideas, anyone?

On another matter, how large can the SD card be? Does the keyboard support SDHC cards or SD only?

Thanks!

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:55 pm

Post Re: Caps lock & Shift keys erratic
I don't have a fix for the erratic shift and caps results I do have a nice alternative to not knowing where the symbols are.
Try this.
Attachment:
Importace.png
Importace.png [ 32.48 KiB | Viewed 26922 times ]

As for the SD cards. The card slot will not take SDHC cards, and I don't know what size card the keyboard will take but as the card is only a storage device for the base layout it really doesn't need to be very big anyway!

Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:58 am

Ahhh, thanks for the SD card nfo & the nice image but my sweet OM having a hiccup = my head aching! This has happened before and I'll be damned if I haven't duplicated the problem without being aware of exactly how I did this annoying feat other than it revolving around my feeble attempts to master the "customization" of this keyboard. I have found that calling an OM just a keyboard is somewhat of a misnomer as it is much, much more. This is the 3rd time I have had this problem arise after my either adding a new layer or making minor revisions to the "Important stuff" layer. The caps-lock key light is always on but the keyboard will not display the keys to be in CAPS nor is the keyboard output in all CAPS. While the light stays on, the key must still be "toggled" in order to produce all CAPS in it's output. The same result happens with the Shift keys. The basic function works but the OM no longer reflects a change in the display of the correct "case" status of the display.
The notion of the SD card only containing base information, ie. the Optimus subdirectory containing the normal & shift subdirectories each containing 114 *.sys files, I think I get but then wouldn't placing say, a *.png file of the image one had assigned to a specific key not also be a good thing? I have noticed that in the files you posted of the content of the SD card, not only did your files have the before mentioned subdirectories & files, they also contained several two digit subdirectories full of *.bmp files of customized keys. Hence my curiosity as to the size of the SD card and the benefit of it containing the files used in the customization of the various keys either in "layers" or "layer images" or whatever.
Maybe I'll figure this damn keyboard out before I go totally insane but most likely I already am already insane an it really won't matter at all. It's like an itch that is just out of reach.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:18 am

RhettLR wrote:
I have noticed that in the files you posted of the content of the SD card, not only did your files have the before mentioned subdirectories & files, they also contained several two digit subdirectories full of *.bmp files of customized keys.

On previous versions of configurator there was a feature to update your chosen layer directly to the keyboard thus replacing the base layer. This might be the difference in the folder structure you refer to.

What operating system are you using, and what are the versions of configurator and OM firmware?

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:43 am

It has to be the fact that I have only had my OM for about 2 months and am using 0.0.0.18 & firmware 0.77d insofar as the different files in your SD card subdirectories.

All one has to do is RTFM to find the sentence, in English, "When Configurator software is running, Optimus Maximus disregards the layout stored in the memory card." That would put to rest ANY need for more space on the SD card, unless there was a change in the software / firmware to utilize the fast read speeds for multimedia on the keys?

I am running Windows 7 64 bit 24/7 since it's release without any problems, with the OS or any software. The only hassle is in a couple of printer drivers that haven't caught up yet.

I still haven't figured out why the Caps Lock & Shift keys refuse to update the keyboard display status. The output from the board, say in a text file or anything else is perfect. No problem in changing "case", only the OM's refusing to display CAPS. I have found that to return the OM back to working condition, you have to uninstall the configurator & all related files in %USER%\AppData\Roaming\OptimusMaximus, then perform a reinstall and "poof" everything is cool once again.

I am going to figure this bad boy out though, it won't defeat me. I hope!

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Try downgrading the firmware to ver 77b and trying that for a while. I'm don't know if it will provide a fix but is was the last stable firmware which differs to the current one. If that works for a while then re update and report back!

Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:08 pm

To be honest, I am convinced that it has more to do with my screwing up the files in an attempt to learn how to use this damn thing. Once I uninstall the configurator & clean up the files it leaves behind, then reinstall, everything stays fine until I get into "tricking" out my bad ass keyboard.

I don't mind doing the firmware thing but everything is stable until I start getting too cute by half in attempting to teach myself how to configure this baby. Not that I'm complaining BUT if this unit came with decent documentation, 90% of the questions on this forum would disappear instantly and cool keys, layouts for every game & program AND art (not Lebedev) would replace the general wringing of hands that are the posts on the board.

I reread the owners manual and there is nothing in it concerning "groups" for example. And what is the deal with all of the posts that have to be solved by rearranging layers to be on top? The conditions box should take care of that without the user having to rearrange the bloody layers. OK, end of /rant.

There is so much potential for creativity with this keyboard, it's driving me nuts that I have to learn by reinstall. I have thought about a forum topic that just contained a compilation of the answers and workarounds in order for the users to compile a better set of documentation. For instance, how does one configure a key to have additional pixels light up as the Caps Lock & Num Lock keys do, without being a programmer?

Alas, it is back to trial & error for the foreseeable future.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:52 pm
Art Lebedev Software Developer

Sorry, but no one ever reads the instructions. For example, on page

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/downloads/

There is a remarkable and detailed instructions on how to change the button:

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/op ... al-eng.pdf

In which there are such words:

"Pay attention to the position of the display module-its top and bottom parts differ
in width of the surrounding metal frame. At the bottom the frame is wider. "

So why every second user inserts the button upside down?

To configure the layers do not have to be a programmer. Want to know how to do so to light up the light on the Caps Lock? Look at the configuration of system layers.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Pretender, whoa Buddy! I said nothing about replacing keys! I agree, most end users of any product never bother to RTFM!

However, the issue about "how to put a light on the keys" was me and I will examine the
Quote:
Look at the configuration of system layers
, however, I was not speaking of the "Caps Lock" key ---- I was speaking about doing the same effect on OTHER keys.

Sorry for the confusion!

Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:50 am
Art Lebedev Software Developer

RhettLR wrote:
However, the issue about "how to put a light on the keys" was me and I will examine the
Quote:
Look at the configuration of system layers
, however, I was not speaking of the "Caps Lock" key ---- I was speaking about doing the same effect on OTHER keys.
For the other buttons it useless. This will signal aboute nothing. But you can use "Layer Switchers" plugin - "Toggle condition" action/"Switch by action" condition in way similar with caps lock layers logic.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:56 am