It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:15 pm

My keyboard stopped working! 

Post My keyboard stopped working!
I sent this to the support@artlebedev.com email, but I thought I'd do it here too in case anyone else has experienced this.

I turned on my pc just now, and the keyboard doesn't work anymore. It powers on and goes through it's startup sequence, but the layout never loads and I can't use it to type. Each screen has a tv static like picture on it, and the configurator says [Device not connected]. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the configurator, but nothing works. What should I do? I also tried putting it into service mode and going back to normal after that and the same thing happens.

Any ideas?

Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:17 am
Site Admin

Post Re: My keyboard stopped working!
it sounds like its not reading the layouts on your SD card...? Is the SD card firmly inserted? Do you have a bakup of the contents on the SD card to put on a spare SD card for testing?

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:01 am

happend to me when i first got it, it was the SD card came out. I pooped my pants for bout 10mins before i realised wot it was, hopefully its happened to you..

is it ok now?

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:03 am

i have tried removing and replacing the card. no luck. any other ideas?

can someone provide me with a backup of the files on the card just in case?

Thanks guys!

*edit*
everything seems to be fine on the sd card. but I'm still stuck with an expensive USB hum, since that's all that works.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:16 am

Atarian wrote:
i have tried removing and replacing the card. no luck. any other ideas?

can someone provide me with a backup of the files on the card just in case?

Thanks guys!

*edit*
everything seems to be fine on the sd card. but I'm still stuck with an expensive USB hum, since that's all that works.

I think it may be a bug of v0.0.6 of the PC version of OMC...

In fact this version, for reasons I have been explained, was exporting the "2Optimus" directory containing wrong named files, which do not let the keyboard correctly load the layout when bootstrapped.

The files which were sent to the directory were named .BMP (but not being BMP files for real) instead of .SYS, which should be the name the keyboard looks for when bootstrapped.

Get an older, working, "2Optimus" directory and copy it to the SD card again, or maybe just have a try deleting the "Optimus" directory in the SD Card...

And have a try with the now available v0.0.7 of OMC which should work correctly from this point of view...

Hope this helps...

BR

Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:46 pm

I have tried both 0.0.6 and 0.0.7 with no luck. I'll try the 2optimus thing later. I think my card only has an "Optimus" folder on it, not "2Optimus" When I dump the layout with the configurator it does make a 2Optimus directory.

Last edited by Atarian on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:25 am

So far art lebedev support has been unable to help. I have an "optimus" folder on the sd and I'm able to dump a 2Maximus folder from the configurator, putting it on the SD doesn't help, and deleting the optimus folder doesn't help either. So nothing works except the USB. The virtual drive thing doesn't even come up.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:01 pm
Site Admin

Just out of curiosity, do you have access to a Mac you can try it on or at least a different PC? You might have some luck recognising and reflashing the firmware on a different platform.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:55 pm

No access to a mac, but I have tried it on my PC (vista 32-bit), my media center PC (windows XP), and another computer in the house (vista 64-bit). All three give me static keys, and [Device not connected] in the configurator.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:52 pm

Atarian wrote:
So far art lebedev support has been unable to help. I have an "optimus" folder on the sd and I'm able to dump a 2Maximus folder from the configurator, putting it on the SD doesn't help, and deleting the optimus folder doesn't help either. So nothing works except the USB. The virtual drive thing doesn't even come up.

I don't know if I explained myself enough for you to understand what I meant or not, so I'll try to clarify it a little bit more...

OMC creates (at least on the PC version) a directory called "2Optimus" within its installation directory which contains another folder called "Optimus" which is supposed to be copied on the SD card at root level, thus having a directory called "Optimus" in the SD Card main level.

This directory will contain .SYS files which program the appearance of the keys when OMC is not running (at system startup for example...). Once OMC is running, the defined combination of layouts are applied to the keyboard.

Those .SYS files are not produced correctly by version v0.0.6 as the programmers forgot to change the filename produced from .BMP to .SYS (file contents are correct, only filename are wrong, but firmware does not know and thus do not load anything useful, creating "TV effects" on every single key...).

I've not tried v0.0.7 on this, but I know for sure v0.0.5 was working perfectly on this matter (I've tested myself).

Anyway, the key not being recognised gives me the hint the firmware is somewhat corrupted, hence the first thing I would try is to start from scratch and reprogramming the whole keyboard with a previous version of the firmware and then stepping to the newers...

I hope you will succeed.

Please keep us informed and ask anything else we can provide as help.

Best Regards (and good luck...).
To load those

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:10 pm