It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Programming OM Keyboard for use on Linux machine. 

Post Programming OM Keyboard for use on Linux machine.
I want to use the Optimus Maximus on a Linux (Ubuntu) machine. I know that there aren't Linux drivers for the keyboard. I have a spare Mac / PC to program the keyboard on. I wanted to see if the keyboard will retain it's programming from one (mac / pc) machine when plugged into another machine which doesn't have Optimus Maximus drivers installed (ie. Linux). If so, I wanted to know if it could also show different sets when the Ctrl key, Alt key, Ctrl+Alt keys were held down on the non-driver machine. Basically I want to know if that functionality (showing different sets of keys for different modifier keys) is programming which is built into the keyboard or if it needs to be on the system you're using at the time. I understand that I won't have the functionality of being able to have the key-sets change per program I'm using, and I'm okay with that limitation.

Thanks!

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:43 am

Post Re: Programming OM Keyboard for use on Linux machine.
Hi

There have been one or two topics on here for Linux. I did find one here that you might find useful.

Out of the box the Optimus keyboard should perform all standard key changes on any usb based OS. And following the instructions here on a PC will allow you to make some rudimentary changes to the look of the standard key layout to be used on any machine.

You are right that the extra functionality of the keyboard will not work on Linux including things like scripts and web links, without the Configurator software active. This is one of the main drawbacks of the keyboard!

Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:02 pm

Well, I went and bought one. I am able to configure it fine on my MacOS machine, and am now trying to figure out how to easily get the settings from Optimus Maximus Configurator onto the keyboard's storage space. It appears that there is temporary RAM memory on the keyboard which gets updated when you write files to the MaximusDisk mount on MacOS. When I checked out the SD card, it was blank. I haven't been able to find out how to write settings to that. The post about writing to the SD card seems dated as there is no optimus directory on the SD card, and there is no optimus layout... option in export (or maybe that's because I'm using the MacOS version?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer not to have to do the tiff conversion from the other post for the time being.

Thanks!

Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:52 am

Ok, seems that you are missing all the appropriate files on the card! You didn't by any chance format the card or something before using it did you?

On this post I have uploaded my sd card content which you can try and then modify if it works. Just put them onto the card and power the keyboard and remember to use a sd card reader to insert the files, and not the slots on the keyboard!

Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Fantastic! Everything loaded up on there. The shift key changes to the capital letters. I see a lot of BMPs which I'm not able to invoke on the keyboard, though. Are they just unused? Is there any way to set modified layouts for more than just shift? (ie. ctrl, alt, or perhaps even ctrl+alt, ctrl+shift, etc)?

This is progress. Thanks very much for your clear dedication to this forum!

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:54 am

Thanks.

At this time there is no way to change the other possible key switches, but needles to say I don't think it is impossible either. Just needs someone cleverer than me on software development! ;)

Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:39 pm