It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Art.Lebedev Support 

Art.Lebedev Support
I mailed support@artlebedev.com about 4 times now about a problem with burn-in and worn keys, still no response at all....
Maybe my emails are filtered by a spam filter or something.

So please Art.developer people give this msg to support:

I've been using the optimus maximus keyboard for some time now, it's great!
But with the coming of new firmware with a new bootup pattern i noticed that all my keys already have some degree of 'burn in'. The keys that have been changed to most have less burn in, but for those who change less, like caps lock and num lock, the 'burn in' is clearly visable.
Also i've started seeing small friction points underneath the clearcaps on some of the keys, i can't say if this is related to how many times the key has been pressed, but i don't think its normal wear and tear, or is it?
What will Art.Lebedev do about this?

Thanks.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:27 am

Post Re: Art.Lebedev Support
Hmmm. I had quite positive contacts to the support when I contacted them, can't help you out there.
But I have answers for you, too.

First, the burn-in. It's normal with OLED displays. You can slow down the effect by reducing the overall brightness of the keyboard. Another way to make the burn-in less unpleasant is to create an inverted layout of the keyboard (white is black, black is white, and so on) and let the inverted layout burn in the same amount of time that you use the normal layout.
I already placed a feature request for that very long time ago, but there were more important problems on schedule, I guess.
For example, it would be very nice if the keyboard's driver would itself generate inverted layers and show them instead of turning off the keyboard. That would be a kind of "not-screen-saver", but it would at least not burn in visible letters. (When Plasma-flatscreens were used at airports, you could see inverted screens at night (when the company installing them had their brains activated...))

Second, the friction points. You can do something about that. See my article which improves the overall haptics of the keyboard and at the same time makes the "friction" spots go away. These spots exist, because the clear key caps hit the metal frame of the OLED displays. Also it gives that hard "clicky" typing touch to the board which makes it sound cheap. With some gaffer-tape on each key, you can make the optimus the real optimus. I did it and I am happy forever. Feels great, sounds great, works great and no spots at all.
http://backendserver.de/optioptimus/Optimus%20Maximus%20optimization.html
Ok, the "fix" takes some time, but motivation, good music and enthusiasm will keep you going ;)

Hope that helps,
Rainer

Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:20 pm

If you had a positive experience with Art Lebedev support you must be the only person on the planet who can claim that.

My experience with them has been the worst I've ever encountered for any product or service I've ever purchased.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:24 am

My experience with Art support is also very good but I am surprised at PGH2's post, as in your other thread you commented on Art's quick reply to your email to obtain a key removal tool! What happened?

I too am getting a few impact marks on a few of my keys but nothing that I would say was bothering me yet. I liken it to same sort of ware you would get on any printed keyboard. And I agree with rabrab that using the keys at full brightness is fatal for burn in. Turn the brightness down to 60% or less.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:44 am

It turns out that the only reason they responded so quickly was that they were interested in who sold me the keyboard on eBay. They were worried that it was an unauthorized seller. Actual interest in providing support for one of their customers doesn't seem to have been a factor at all. They assured me that, "We try to fix the problem. Please do not worry." But after I gave them the seller's eBay name they have been almost totally unresponsive. It's now been 2 weeks since I contacted them and I have nothing to show for it except frustration. I send them an email every few days begging for someone to respond and after 3 or 4 of these I get a "someone will contact you" reply. Only no one does.

If there is anyone at Art Lebedev who monitors this forum PLEASE PLEASE contact me.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:28 am

I'm wondering if they are all on some sort of extended holiday as the Art project blog hasn't been updated since december 9th???

Pgh2 is it just the key removal tool you need as if you want I'll take some detailed photos of mine so you can see how it works and mabye make your own or find something that will work in it's place! ;)

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:26 am

No, they're there - they're yakking away on the "friends" board, including that asswipe from "support" who has been jerking me around.

I may take you up on offer if I don't get any replies from my request -> see the new thread.

Thanks.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:06 pm

3 DAYS AND NO REPLY TO REQUEST FOR HELP...

(snow leopard incompatibility)

Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:08 am

over a week and not a peep. how hard is it to respond to an email from somebody who invested $1600 in your company? my keyboard doesn't work from snow leopard and i have heard nothing from them. anyone? this is getting shameful...

Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:01 am

You are correct, in that their support is horrible, i sent several emails discribing my keys not lighting up and they basically told me , that is why you have spares, when i asked for replacements , they stopped responding, i called their offices, noone speaks any english, and they hung up on me twice, so let's recap, their support is horrible, the keyboard sticks, noone even speaks english, but they sure love to charge you a ton of cash for a nice looking crappy product. What is really funny is that several people in this forum are complaining but the only people actually responding are other forum members, not anyone from art lebedev, i do not think they even read this forum. Im calling think geek tomorrow to return my second keyboard, what a hunk of nice looking garbage.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:36 pm