It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:08 pm

SERIOUS SOFTWARE! 

Post SERIOUS SOFTWARE!
The OM is a serious keyboard. I have purchased this KB for things like the AVID, Sound Forge, Cubases' Wave Lab, and
a slew of Adobe CS suite products. Even Quickbooks keys would be helpful. I spend way too much time dealing with projects
and project management, that I'm not sure if I'd have time to design keys and program all of my intended software,
that is if I knew how to in the first place. Esoteric gear like the OM is usually driven by a solution to a problem that I wasn't
sure I even had. It does seem that if I had all my software layouts, I could fly faster through projects.

Did I just shoot myself in the foot by buying a KB that I now have to spend what would seem weeks to program?
Or have I not approached this in the proper frame of mind. Right now I'd like to put a bullet through my head just
thinking about the daunting tasks ahead. And I don't even have the KB yet... it apparently has been shipped from HK.

Has anybody done an idiots guide to key design?

Are there layouts already done for the AVID, and the CS suite? ...Elements...?

Is anybody willing to design program layouts?

If I'm travelling at the speed of light, and I turn my headlights ON, will on-coming traffic see me?

-editor

Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:57 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: SERIOUS SOFTWARE!
Hi,

Best thing is to slow down and step back a little. Hopefully over time, as new users aquire their keyboards, layouts will be posted to this site.

There are hundreds if icon resources downloadable from the net in png format that can simply be applied to the keys one at a time, take about 10 minutes per layout.

I made several 'child friendly' layouts using icons from the net.

The more keyboards that ship, the more layouts that will appear!

D

Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:41 pm

dalep wrote:
Hi,

Best thing is to slow down and step back a little. Hopefully over time, as new users aquire their keyboards, layouts will be posted to this site.

There are hundreds if icon resources downloadable from the net in png format that can simply be applied to the keys one at a time, take about 10 minutes per layout.

I made several 'child friendly' layouts using icons from the net.

The more keyboards that ship, the more layouts that will appear!

D

I am moving slow... in fact until I rebooted my machine, I couldn't even get the KB to respond properly. Now that's slow!
I am totally amazed a tutorial was not provided by Lebedev either in the box, or online... :(

I was wondering if you could do something?
Can you provide a simple step by step sort of Stereo Instructions on how to build and
apply a layout.

Could you explain a "Layer" and a "Group" how they are different, and how to apply them?

I found by reading the SD CARD that there are thousands of images there.
How do you get an image into a layout?

I understand the there will be many designers doing layouts, but I'd like to try a few
with the guidance of someone like you.

Best regards,

-editor

Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:14 am
Profile WWW

Hi,

No problem, I will help as much as I can.

First step, make sure you are on the most up to date firmware...

The differences between Groups and Layer:

The layer contains the actual layout that will be applied to the keys upon a preset condition being met, i.e shift being pressed.

A group provides the ability to bunch together a group of layers and make them all active (or not...) upon a preset condition being met. As an example, I use mine on a Mac, unfortunately, I am also a Windows programmer so I need to run XP / Vista as well. I run Windows under a Virtual machine called parallels.

I have 2 groups, 1 called PC and 1 called MAC. I have a preset condition applied to the PC group that makes it active ONLY if parallels is running. I have the MAC group only applied if parallels is NOT running.

That way, I can have a layout in each group called shift, As the Mac and PC layouts are different, the correct shift layout is displayed without me having to apply the condition : IF in PC mode AND shift is pressed, display PC SHIFT etc etc

Now onto the SD card. The best thing to do with the SD card is to copy off the files as a backup onto your local drive so it is easy to get to the png files on there.

I didn't ask, are you using PC or MAC?

The easiest way to create a layer in Configurator is to open the folder of icons/png/jpg files in a window, then simply Click the relevant key in Configurator to bring up the orange square, then simply drag the icon from your folder ontop of the selected key. If you dont like a key, or did the wrong one, press the delete key and it will disappear.

Oddly, the programmers who program for the PC and the MAC versions, clearly do not speak, there are major differences in the way each version works, in my humble opinion, at todays date, the MAC version is better and really only lacks the key mapping part. Once that is done it will be very useable.

Over the next couple of days I will upload templates for sibelius, photoshop (corrected), Scratch and more...

One last final tip, this works on a Mac, not sure on a PC.

Assume you have a photoshop template, mine doesnt have the 10,20,30% on the numeric keypad. I have it as a tiff file so assume I DONT have the individual key images. Open up one copy of the OLD configurator version, then open the NEW version. You can drag keys from one to the other, makes it easy to combine templates... HANDY!!!

Hope this helps

Dale

Last edited by dalep on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:23 am

Thanks Dale!
I'll try a few things. I'm on a PC (XP SP1)
I Created a Layer for Memory, and another called clock.
When I had the shift key down the Home button and Fav button
would turn into Network and CPU usage.
The clock would go away.
Then I created a clock layer, in which the clock always stays active.
Now, I think because the Confgrtor crashed, the PC needs a Reboot.
Is there a way to go into processes and kill the driver as a process
w/o rebooting the PC?

Rob

Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:33 am
Profile WWW

to come back to the original topic of this thread:
I am a bit dissapointed too. at least a Photoshop-Layer I thought would be here 100%.
Or Layouts that imitate an original keyboard (where you can see small versions of what you'll get when you hit Ctrl) and stuff like that.
or at least alternative colors like Green on White, or black on White ,
...or matrix-screensaver-chars
...or ancient gothic fonts (or any other comic font from your fontcollection)
...or any other fancy useless-but-nice-to-see-and-play-around-with-stuff...

that really IS dissapointing for a 1,500$ device.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:28 pm

Robertus wrote:

You can do stuff like that! while the photoshop layout may not be immediately available you can change the font size/type/colour for almost all the keys. I'm currently using Casper Open SF and my numbers were all red for a while (yuck)! Layouts like photoshop have to be programmed as a plugin or more easily set up as a new layer, like the Half life layer.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:42 pm

Robertus wrote:
to come back to the original topic of this thread:

that really IS dissapointing for a 1,500$ device.

I know how ur feelin, I cant take to it. Mine has only been out the box for 20mins at the most. Its the software and the display lag thas hurtin the molst :(

Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:46 am

mostdom wrote:
Robertus wrote:

You can do stuff like that! while the photoshop layout may not be immediately available you can change the font size/type/colour for almost all the keys. I'm currently using Casper Open SF and my numbers were all red for a while (yuck)! Layouts like photoshop have to be programmed as a plugin or more easily set up as a new layer, like the Half life layer.

I TOTALLY Agree! While the firmware issues were being ironed out, Layer Builders should have been
packaging 20-30 of the most used software and HC games Layers and built to be delivered with the keyboard.

WE ARE BETA TESTERS! It cost you $1500 to join a very exclusive Beta Team!
The Keyboard should have had 10-15 screen savers built in for a duration for 5 - 30 minutes before going black.

Drag and drop should have been ready AT SHIPMENT!

As for me. I made the number keys blue, symbols in shift revert to white. Apostrophe is RED, as is comma. I mess up a lot.
I have not been able to assign the posted windows GIF into the windows key. The GIF is there but the animation is dead.

And so it goes...

-editor

Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:45 am
Profile WWW

editor58 wrote:

As for me. I made the number keys blue, symbols in shift revert to white. Apostrophe is RED, as is comma. I mess up a lot.
I have not been able to assign the posted windows GIF into the windows key. The GIF is there but the animation is dead.

And so it goes...

-editor

Are you using the video plugin to put the gif on the key? it's the only way to get it working.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:47 am